Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween 2008

One of my favorite things about living in Arizona is Halloween. It is such great weather this time of year. The kids actually get to show off their costumes instead of covering them up with layers of warm clothing. Most people sit outside in their drive ways to give out candy so they can see all the trick-or-treaters. It is quite the event around these parts.


Our activities for the day started out by me attempted to put Payton's hair in curlers. I really wanted her hair to be perfect. She was Little Bo Peep for Halloween and when I think of Bo Peep, I think of blond hair with big ringlets in it. The day before, I made a trial run at it by using a curling iron. It did not work. So I attempted the curlers, it was quite the step for me. I have to say, not bad for my first time. Her hair was actually quite perfect!

The next adventure of the day happened at Kutter's school. Since I knew it was a possibility we may have to move, I wanted to take special treats to Kutter's class and make Halloween a memorable one. I had way too much fun making goody bags for each of the kids. The bags included such items as pencils, bugs, eyeballs, funny glasses, candy, etc. Ryan came with me when it was time to deliver the goodies. He somehow convinced Kutter's entire class including his teacher to put on the funny glasses and pose for a picture. This was so fantastic!

After school, we got the kids all in their costumes to go trick-or-treating. This turned out to be a bigger challenge than initially anticipated because Maggie's costume did not fit her. The hat was way too small. Go figure! I had to make a few little modifications to get it to sit on long enough for pictures. I was so excited for the girls costumes this year. I found Payton's at TJ Max for $20 and found Maggie's at Wal-mart for $11.88. Sure wish I would have tried on the hat on Maggie earlier. The costume fit fine, just not the hat. But you get the idea. The idea of Payton as Little Bo Peep and Maggie as her sheep was just too good to pass up. It was priceless!
Kutter wanted to go as Spiderman again this year. We found a great "Black Spiderman" costume with the big cushy muscles. I like finding good costumes for the kids because they wear the costume all the time. My kids play dress up nearly every day, several times a day if you are Payton. So it saves me a whole lotta heartache if I can buy one that will last awhile.


We met up with the Zierse's to hit the road for trick-or-treating. It was such a fun night watching the kids run from house to house and the adults just getting to walk and talk. It was a bit of a depressing Halloween on our street, however. There was only about 1 in 10 houses giving out candy. Our town has been hit pretty hard with foreclosures. We then loaded up all the kids and headed to Weinerschnitzel for dinner. Cheap and easy, that is my motto! All in all, it was a pretty terrific Halloween!

1 comment:

It's all about Family! said...

What fun costumes. They all look great. Still wish we lived closer so we could have given them Halloween candy. Love you all.